Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Anchor Charts and We Can!

I am a huge fan of using anchor charts in my classroom.  I let the kids help me decide what information to include, then hang them up where they are easily seen.  I remind them to refer to them during tests.  I think of them as a resource and love when I look around and see the kids referring to them.  To me, it's their way of telling me they care and want to do well.  After a while of referring to the charts, the information is just committed to memory!  I don't know what I am going to do in January when we move into our brand new buildings (!!!!!!)  and we aren't allowed to hang things on the walls!  I'll come up with a solution I'm sure!  Here are a couple examples of some of the anchor charts currently hanging in the room:

Using models such as base-ten blocks and number lines to display decimals

Rounding Decimals: CCSS 5.NBT.4

Additionally, I like to really make sure my students know what our goals and objectives are each day.  I want them to be able to say, "Yeah, I did learn that today!"  Each time we learn a new concept, I let them know how it is connected not only to the Ohio Academic Standards, but also to Common Core.   This way, we are all working toward a common goal.  I never want them to be in the dark about what they are learning and what they should be able to understand after a lesson.  Here are two examples of our "We Can" posters:




We Can do so much!


I am really thankful to have so much wall space in our room!


No comments:

Post a Comment